Eric Jorgensen

On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:24:12 -0600
Derek > wrote:

> On Thu, 24 Feb 2005 21:04:25 -0700, Eric Jorgensen wrote:
>=20
> > I think AB should repeat that experiment with some 6oz bellas that
> > are
> > showing a lot of gill. they're damn sponges.=20
> >=20
> > White button mushrooms? meh, nothing's gonna make 'em worse. Well,
> > short
> > of putting them in a can.

>=20
> In hindsight, I had the same thought. I tried a recipe a little while
> back that called for the portobellas to be saut=E9ed, and then
> specifically mentioned using the remaining juice to cook the garlic.
>=20
> What juice? Those bellas sucked up everything that went into the pan.

If you cook them long enough, they purge much of what they sucked up.
You have to be careful with the temperature, and make sure they don't sear.
Because of this, personally I'm wary of calling it a sautee, it's almost
more of a sweat.=20

But what I'm wondering is, cook the garlic after the fungus? heresy!
Both at the same time for me. But for me brown mushrooms and garlic are
almost their own food group.=20

The problem with getting them wet is that instead of getting sauteed
they get steamed. they never absorb enough oil, and come out tough.=20

I think the problem is directly proportional to the density of the
mushroom. This is no problem at all with oysters, enoki, white buttons,
etc - and a real big problem with larger cap type mushrooms that have
opened their gills.=20

Getting back to the subject - the one and only time I've had the
exploding water thing happen, it was a tall plastic tumbler, fairly new
and very slick on the inside. about 12oz of water went in, about 10oz of
water came out when i reached for it. I was not badly burned, but it sure
was unpleasant.=20