Alex Rast

Default With Brownies....

at Sat, 29 Nov 2003 21:35:04 GMT in
(Doug Weller) wrote :

>On Tue, 18 Nov 2003 15:21:37 GMT, JMF wrote:
>
>> It's really hard to get unsweetened chocolate over here in Europe. Is
>> there someway to use, say, 70% or even 85% chocolate (e.g. by Lindt)
>> and somehow adjust the recipe?

>So what happens if you use cocoa and butter -- in this case I'd use 9 oz
>cocoa, 3 oz butter. I do this all the time with brownies since
>unsweetened chocolate isn't easily available in the UK.

See my very detailed explanation for substituting cocoa and butter for
straight chocolate posted to rec.food.baking: "Re : Need exchange of
chocolate to cocoa powder". It contains probably more information than
you'd want to know about substitution.

In the case of the brownies, I think the cocoa/butter substitution would
make them more "cakey", at least to some degree and certainly crisper
around the edges. It'd also be somewhat more temperature-sensitive in the
oven. But I haven't experimented with this approach on the brownies so I
can't give you a definitive answer. Why don't you try it (following my
substitution calculations) and tell us how they turned out? I don't think
they'll come out *really* wrong or awful.

--
Alex Rast