Musashi

"shawn" > wrote in message
> "Musashi" > wrote:
>

> >"shawn" > wrote in message
> .. .

> >> roups.com...

bugs.

them

tailmeat

wouldn't

or

chunks.

spicy

> >been

rice

although
> >Japanese

> >acquired a taste for
> >>
> >> Sounds like there is an opportunity there. A chance to introduce the
> >> crawfish boil to the Japanese people. LOL. It does seem a bit off
> >> that they haven't picked up on that as a food source, but I guess
> >> people can stick to their first impressions.
> >>

> >You are right. If you opened a Cajun restaurant in Tokyo people would
> >probably line up to eat those crawfish.

> I'm surprised that hasn't happen. Do they have many western style
> restaurants in Japan? I would think they would have picked up on it
> since they seem to pick up on so many western habits (dress and
> language).

It probably HAS happened. Legal Seafoods has a restaurant in Tokyo.
Wolfgang Puck has his California Grill in Tokyo. Not to mention Macdonalds,
KFC, etc.

> >First impressions do count. Another foreign fish that has become
> >overpopulated in Japan is the Large Mouth Black Bass. Despite a boom in
> >Bass fishing a la US style, bass boats and all, nobody seems to think

they
> >are any good eating.

> That seems to be a common theme. I've heard that there are fish in the
> USA that are thought of in the same manner. I know that catfish and
> mullet are big in the southeastern US, but I believe they aren't liked
> up in the northern US.

That's very true.

> >OK, they may not be the best but I don't think they're any worse than

Tilapia.
> >In some lakes in Japan it is illegal to throw back a Black Bass, you are
> >forced to keep it.

> Now that's a first! I guess that is one way to get rid of the fish,
> but how do you enforce that kind of rule. It's hard to check on what
> type of fish someone tossed back in to the water after the fact.

Yes it's hard to check and enforce.
But alot people I know don't throw carp back.
Catch & Release, along with forced removal is just another
management tool in maintaining the proper population balances
of various sport species.