Musashi

"shawn" > wrote in message
> "Musashi" > wrote:
>

> >"parrotheada1a" > wrote in message
> roups.com...
> >> Unless you live around Louisiana, you're probably getting frozen bugs.
> >> More likely than not, they're coming from China. The Chinese farm them
> >> in rice paddies just like shrimp. I can get peeled & parcooked tailmeat
> >> at Wally world for about $8.00 a bag, frozen & cryovaced. I wouldn't
> >> make nigiri out of them at any rate, the tails are rather small.
> >> Probably the best way to handle these things is either in a handroll or
> >> a maki. I chop up a bunch of tails, so they are in good sized chunks.
> >> Then I add some mayo, mirin & hots, pretty much the same as for spicy
> >> tuna. This goes into the maki with a generous helping of green onion
> >> shreds, or shredded pea pods.
> >>
> >> Jim
> >>

> >In Japan, crayfish have been around for about 100 years or so, having

been
> >accidentally introduced from the US. They are considered as pests by rice
> >farmers as they cause damage to the rice in the paddies. Oddly, although

Japanese
> >people will eat just about anything that lives in water, nobody ever

acquired a taste for
> >the freshwater crayfish.

> Sounds like there is an opportunity there. A chance to introduce the
> crawfish boil to the Japanese people. LOL. It does seem a bit off
> that they haven't picked up on that as a food source, but I guess
> people can stick to their first impressions.

You are right. If you opened a Cajun restaurant in Tokyo people would
probably
line up to eat those crawfish.
First impressions do count. Another foreign fish that has become
overpopulated in Japan
is the Large Mouth Black Bass. Despite a boom in Bass fishing a la US style,
bass boats
and all, nobody seems to think they are any good eating. OK, they may not be
the best but
I don't think they're any worse than Tilapia.
In some lakes in Japan it is illegal to throw back a Black Bass, you are
forced to keep it.