Kathi Jones

"Loki" > wrote in message
> il Thu, 17 Feb 2005 07:55:06 -0600, Melba's Jammin' ha scritto:
>
> > In article >, "Kathi Jones"
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > I made the orange marmalade recipe (using seville oranges) the other
> > > day from the Bernardin website www.homecanning.com and the following
> > > is taken from the instructions:
> > >
> > > "Cover canner; bring water to a boil. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305
> > > m), process -boil filled jars - 10 minutes.* When processing time is
> > > complete, turn heat off and remove canner lid. When boil subsides -
> > > bubbles no longer rise to surface (3 to 5 minutes) - remove jars
> > > without tilting. Cool jars upright, undisturbed 24 hours. DO NOT
> > > RETIGHTEN screw bands"

> > Sounds like CYA and The Idiot Factor to me.

> Maybe some people don't know that metal contracts when cooling and if
> overtightened would crack the jars.
> --
> Cheers,
> Loki [ Brevity is the soul of wit. W.Shakespeare ]

Hi Loki,

no, it was the "When processing time is complete, turn heat off and remove
canner lid. When boil subsides - bubbles no longer rise to surface (3 to 5
minutes) - remove jars " part that was new to me. I usually lift the lid
and pull the jars out while boiling water and steam fill the kitchen. Like
Barb suggested, it's prolly there for safety's (idiot's) sake.

Kathi