Dan Abel

In article . com>,
"fishman" > wrote:

> How do restaurants cook their meatballs so that they are so round and
> evenly browned? I fry mine in a pan and they always have flat spots
> where they touch the pan. This area is also crispier than the parts
> that don't ever touch the pan.
>
> I have tried baking, and get similar results.
>
> I am referring to the big italian meatballs that get served with
> spaghetti. Thanks.

I'm not into perfectly round. I think they look more homemade if they
aren't. I have a technique, though. It keeps them round, but I do it
because I'm just lazy. I make the sauce thin, and plop the uncooked
meatballs into it. They soon firm up into whatever shape they were when
you put them in. I usually cook them an hour to an hour and a half.
Shortly before it's time to eat, I add a can of tomato paste, which
thickens the sauce up. Although browning adds to the taste of the
meatballs, I find them quite acceptable without.

The following recipe is loosely based on one from the Frugal Gourmet, and
was my inspiration for the above technique:

GREEK MEATBALLS
===============

1 1/2 pounds hamburger
1/3 cup uncooked rice
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion
1 egg
16 oz can tomato sauce
butter
flour
pepper
oregano
dried dill week

Mix first four ingredients in a bowl (I usually add oregano and dill
also). Empty the tomato sauce into large saucepan. Add two cans of
water. Add some butter to thicken the sauce (I use olive oil). The
thickening happens during cooking when the flour combines with the
butter. Add oregano and dill to the liquid, and bring to a boil. Put
flour and pepper on a plate. Make meatballs and roll them on the plate.
Add to simmering liquid. It will look more like meatball soup, but the
rice and the flour will cause the sauce to thicken. Cook for an hour or
more, stirring occasionally. I don't usually add salt, but I would guess
that most people would. I add hot pepper sauce towards the end. These
are good over boiled egg noodles.

--
Dan Abel
Sonoma State University