-L.

fishman wrote:
> How do restaurants cook their meatballs so that they are so round and
> evenly browned? I fry mine in a pan and they always have flat spots
> where they touch the pan. This area is also crispier than the parts
> that don't ever touch the pan.
>
> I have tried baking, and get similar results.
>
> I am referring to the big italian meatballs that get served with
> spaghetti. Thanks.

Mine are made with ground meat (usually turkey - we don't eat beef),
grated green pepper (with the juice), fresh garlic - pressed, onion and
garlic powder, dried onion flakes, black pepper, a bunch of spices
(oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil,) and bread crumbs. I mix it all
well, and them let the mix sit in the fridge for a few hours, covered.
I form it into roundish balls the size of golf balls (or a smidge
bigger) and place them on a well-greased cookie sheet. I then broil
them under the broiler until the tops are browned - sometimes I flip
them half way through, but usually I don't have to. They cook in about
10-15 minutes - well browned on top and bottom. I then plop them into
hot tomato-based sauce (containing veggies and spices) and simmer on
low uniil they need to be served (a minimum of 1/2 hour). They always
retain their shape (more-or-less), brown well and taste divine.

HTH,

-L.