Sheldon

fishman wrote:
> How do restaurants cook their meatballs so that they are so round and
> evenly browned? I fry mine in a pan and they always have flat spots
> where they touch the pan. This area is also crispier than the parts
> that don't ever touch the pan.
>
> I have tried baking, and get similar results.
>
> I am referring to the big italian meatballs that get served with
> spaghetti. Thanks.

How depends on the restaurant. Most of the smaller family operated
establishments make meatballs the same as you've described, formed and
pan fried/baked on the premises... they will not be very uniform
either. Many larger facilities buy factory made precooked frozen meat
balls... they're formed and cooked by automated machinery...
essentially they are formed by machine and transported by conveyer so
that they are pre-cooked by deep frying which firms them up, then they
are baked until fully cooked, then flash frozen. And many restaurants
don't bother with frying/baking, they simply drop the formed raw meat
balls directly into the pot of simmering sauce.

"French people stink, in body and deeds, BOYCOTT FRANCE"