Kathy

Default How much oil for shortening?

I read recently that if one substitutes oil for shortening in baking, the
result comes out greasy because shortening is whipped full of air and oil
has no air. Still, it seems to me that if one knew the air-to-grease ratio
in shortening, one could figure out an oil-for-grease substitution. I've
been experimenting in cookies, muffins, biscuits, and pie crust and coming
out somewhere between a third to a half cup of olive oil for every cup of
shortening the recipe calls for. But that's just guessing. Does anyone know
what the exact amount should be?

(Of course, even with the exact amount, an oil-based product will be
different than a solid grease-based product. I'll accept different, so long
as it's still good and it means I can get away from using Crisco.)

Kathy