Brick

wrote:
> > > Thanks for the info Dana. When you say dampner adjustment do you
> > > baically mean you are having to open it?
> > >
> > > I love cooking on my NBS but I always feel like its a waste of

> fuel.
> > > So what exactly did the pie tin do for you then?

> > Mostly, I think it blocks the radiant heat from the firebox
> > from getting into the cook chamber. I also think it improves the
> > flow of heat with the damper closed down.

> I've actually come to like the extra heat around the firebox
> opening/cooking chamber. I have a hard time getting my temp at the
> gauge (built in one near the right side) to get over 250. So I use the
> extra heat from the firebox side to help reduce the fat for ribs etc...
>
> So by doing this mod do you then need even more fuel I assume?
>
> Jesse

Strange how experiences vary. I have no trouble at all driving mine over
400°. I've seen mine go all the way around the dial. The Thermometer is
the stock NBS model and is mounted in the stock mounting hole near
the chimney. My problem is holding the temp below 275°. I usually burn
a combination of Royal Oak lump and oak logs.

Brick (Keep the shiny side up)