The Joneses

Kathi Jones wrote:

> Hi Edrena,
>
> Yes, I thought that perhaps that little extra instruction may have been
> there for 'safety purposes'. I usually risk serious burning and lift the
> lid off a rapid boil, blow the steam away and extract jars. So yes, it
> could be there so I wont get burned. But to see it say wait until all boil
> has stopped before removing jars, means that the 10 minute BWB is alot
> longer than 10 minutes, don't you think? Perhaps it's Bernardin's way to
> make sure that even a novice will BWB long enough.
> See, this whole thing was quite an experience...and a good one for my dog.
> When I do it the usual way, I pull the jars out of a rapid boil and they
> plink on the counter - at which point my wimpy dog runs for cover because
> she's afraid of the noise. This time around there was no plink, an the dog
> stayed put, snoozing on the couch as usual.
> I just really missed the plink....

It's a safety thing for sure. If you BWB things too long ya might ruin them.
Just wait a min or two for the boiling to subside so you won't burn your fingers
and splash on your precious self. I have cats that can't figger out why I bother
cooking stuff anyway. I plop jars on a wooden board with a ridge to catch water
drips, out of draft of air conditioner or fan. George puts his on folded towels.
Newspapers work good. Don't want the jars to cool too quickly, might break or
ruin seal. If set on very cool surface like marble or granite or steel, might
break, scare dog to peeing in the house.
Edrena