The Joneses

Kathi Jones wrote:

> I made the orange marmalade recipe (using seville oranges) the other day
> from the Bernardin website www.homecanning.com and the following is taken
> from the instructions:
> "Cover canner; bring water to a boil. At altitudes up to 1000 ft (305 m),
> process -boil filled jars - 10 minutes.* When processing time is complete,
> turn heat off and remove canner lid. When boil subsides - bubbles no longer
> rise to surface (3 to 5 minutes) - remove jars without tilting. Cool jars
> upright, undisturbed 24 hours. DO NOT RETIGHTEN screw bands"
> The part in italics is new to me. I can't say I've ever seen instructions
> that say to leave the jar in the water until the boil stops. Usually I
> remove the jars as soon as the 10 minutes is up. But anyway, I did as
> directed and was really disappointed - the jars were sealed but there was no
> 'plink' ! I guess it happened under water and I didn't get to hear it. Why
> would I want take all the fun out of making jam by leaving the jars in the
> water and missing out on the plink?! ;-)
> The marmalade turned out beautifully by the way - all the peel is perfectly
> suspended, which is new for me, usually it floats to the top.

Great news on your marmelade. What they are saying is just basic good sense to
me. Turn off the boiling water, then lift out the jars. If one tries to take out
jars with the water boiling like the devil you could burn yourself and fog up
your glasses. Did you wait for the water to *cool* ? Sometimes I get a quiet
plink too. No worries as long as the lid seals, but not emotionally satisfying.
Edrena