Konny K

Kenneth wrote:
> The heated mass has very significant effects in all forms of
> cooking.

I don't doubt it, but your point is not precise, in fact very vague. To
be honest, I don't see how your "experiment" would enforce your point
at all, you only gave an example of two different masses and claimed
it's the mass that produces the different outcomes and didn't even
bother to take into account the different materials. I made a remark
suspecting it's not only the mass, but rather a property related to
density (mass / volume) and heat conductivity (changes with the
material).

What would happen if you doubled the mass of your cast iron? Let's say
we have a huge block of iron and keep increasing the size of it (the
mass)? Speculation: To some point it will make a difference but after a
while it will not change the outcome a great deal. So it cannot be the
mass as a single governing factor. But if we baked it on the same mass
of a different material, same temperature, it would make a difference.

Why do we rave about wood fired ovens (apart from the "woody aroma"),
why not just use a modified home oven with the same mass? Why does it
make a difference to bake in different ovens made from different
materials (but maybe equal masses). Feel free to report back with your
findings.

Regards,
Konny