Will

On 2/14/05 11:34 AM, "Charles Perry" > wrote:

> Will wrote:
>>
>> ...If I was gearing up, however neither camera or commercial oven would be
>> at the top of the list. These days I want a small lab water bath and a
>> hot/cold retarding box...
>>

> Now, I don't want to denigrate anyone's lust for toys, In fact I
> share some curiosity about the effects of temperature on the
> bread process, but temperature controlled water baths are
> certainly not necessary. Unless, of course, you wish to enter
> the kingdom of the Rye Purist and worship at the altar of
> Detmold.

I think I am building up to a case of Religion :-).
It started innocently when I began cooking 100% rye pumpernickel in a 16
hour water bath @250 F. I used a cheap GE counter top roaster found at
Wal-Mart for $29.00. Temp range from 90 to 450 F.

The results were quite inspiring.

> A nice mixing bowl and a sturdy spoon are all that is necessary
> for ordinary sourdough bread. OK, I am aware that you can mix
> the dough by bare hand directly on the counter or bread board,
> but the use of a bowl and spoon won't get me into the extravagant
> class in today's environment.

I admit to favoring my KitchenAid. At my age, hands are for either the truly
devout or truly impoverished.

>> ... One of my neighbors is getting a
>> good sized Kamado cooker. It's a commercial adaptation of the old
>> Korean and Japanese ceramic "egg" shaped stoves.

> Do these work outside or are they inside the house ovens? I
> really need a brick oven, but I don't have room. So far I have
> been unable to find a volunteer to host site a neighborhood oven.

I've only seen the outside use. You can buy them with LP or natural gas
burners in addition to the wood and charcoal modes. What intrigues me is the
100% castable interior. Once you get them heated, I think you have the
analog of a fine brick oven. Hot, radiant, moisture retentive...etc. When my
neighbor gets his set up, I need to bake a few loaves to get a sense of it.

Will