CabFan

On 14-Feb-2005, Steve Slatcher > wrote:

> >Steve Slatcher > wrote:
> >
> >> Gass tastings can be blind in exactly the same sense that most
> >> wine tastings can - you are not told what glass you are drinking
> >> from.
> >>
> >> Of course, if you know the glassware range that would not help.
> >> For many others (me included) if they were not told they would
> >> not know.

> >But this was exactly what was reported he Even without knowing
> >people invariable chose the appropriate Riedel stem.

> I see nothing in this thread to suggest that anyone prefers Riedel in
> a tasting that is in any sense blind.
>
> Cwdjrx _ reported a blind study where *no* statisitically significant
> result was found: "There was statistically insignificant correlation
> in identification of service of wine in the Riedel glasses rather than
> in some rather quite different glasses."
>
> Ian and CabFan expressed a preference for Riedel, but presumably know
> what they are drinking out of. I do not deny their experience, but
> it's not going to persuade me to upgrade my glassware.

Yes, I do know which glass I am drinking out of.... as I indicated in my
original post, the sheer number of glasses which are similar but not quite
exact makes me believe that there is some degree of marketing in play here.
As an example, compare the Shiraz/Syrah Vinum stem (#416/30), the Bordeaux
Vinum stem (#416/0) and the Brunello di Montalcino Vinum stem (#416/90) side
by side. That is about the only way you could ever tell them apart;
otherwise they are just to close together. Again, I use the Bordeaux Vinum
glass for most of my reds.

In any event, I have for my own curiousity's sake "blind tasted" people who
knew the differences and some who did not. By blind tasted, I mean I have
used the 3 glasses identified above with the same wine. On a couple of
occasions, people have gotten it "right" and on others they have gotten it
"wrong". By right and wrong, I am only referring to the particular stem in
question. In other cases, I have mixed Spiegelau and Riedel glasses
(including a Bordeaux stem from each). In every one of these, the right
stem was choosen but the split between Spiegelau and Riedel was about
40%/60%.

And as I mentioned previously, if you enjoy your wine out of the glasses you
current use, then by all means continue to do so. I would never personally
try and tell you that one glass is better than another, only that in my
experience I prefer certain glasses for certain wines.

Cheers!
Gary