Cwdjrx _

Unfortunately I have discarded my copy of Gourmet concering this
subject. If I remember the details of the scientific blind tasting
correctly, the people tasting wore bindfolds. The glasses were moved
into position by machine so the tasters could not feel the shape of the
glass. Such a test, if done properly, can never prove there is no slight
difference in taste for some people. However thay can strongly indicate
that any such differences are extremely small for most people. Of course
several repeat experiments would be nice to improve the statistics.
However I doubt if Riedel would be willing to pay for these. By the way,
blind people often make outstanding testers for senses other than sight.
Many years ago a person I know had to set up a test for levels at which
various compounds in diesel exaust became noticable. His best sniffers
were a blind couple.

It is very easy to underestimate how much interactions with other people
can influence your thoughts on a hidden level. A classic experiment in
social psychology would place several people in a dark room and shine a
tiny dot of light on the wall. After a certain time, the dot seems to
jump for most people. By planting people in the room who would say they
saw the dot move earlier than the average, others would report an
earlier time that they saw the dot move, on the average.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.