Ian Hoare

Salut/Hi Emery Davis,

le/on Sun, 13 Feb 2005 14:23:54 +0100, tu disais/you said:-

>] From your previous message, should I guess that you are located in Anjou?
>
>No, but thanks to our marvy new autoroutes I'm only about an hour
>away.

Replying to your A28 comment in your message to me. I have that running
between Amiens and Rouen, but I didn't know it was going elsewhere.
Interesting.

I have to say that my usual route up from us to Le Havre (our usual port for
the UK) is up A20 which has the very great virtue of being toll-free down to
Brive from Vierzon and not too busy, and thence up A71, A10 leaving just
before Paris, to go via Rambouillet, Versailles and out on the A14. Will A28
be a viable alternative?

>I know Baudoin is one of Mike T's favorites, and is making some lovely
>wines.

I like his wines very much too, though I've also seen criticism of them as
being unsubtle.

> Of course there is Nicolas Joly...

Grin. Indeed.

>On the subject of biodynamics in another thread, of course Joly is a
>sort of ambassador for the movement. Is Baudoin biodynamic, does
>anyone know?

I don't think so. On the other hand. he is a member of Sapros, which quite
rightly eschews the use of any chaptalisation, reverse osmosis and
artificial cryoextraction in making sweet wines.

>Ian called it "neo-steinerite" or words to that effect, but wouldn't
>"classico-steinerite" be more appropriate? :\

Grin. Perhaps.

I should have added that I've had some excellent wines from adherents of
Biodymanic principles, and that not all of them have adopted all the magic
mumbo-jumbo. On the other hand, unlike Michael Tomassi I've had some
disappointing wine from a Biodynamic producer. So I accept that most people
prepared to go to the trouble of adopting the principles are likely to make
good wines, though I am not certain that it's due to the Biodynamics more
than the generally high standards of care that they use.

--
All the Best
Ian Hoare