Dana H. Myers

Leo Bueno wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 08:53:14 -0700, "Ken Blake"
> > wrote:
>

>>Anyone read the article on glassware (Riedel in particular) in
>>the August Gourmet magazine? It deals with whether there really
>>is a difference.
>>
>>If you've read it, any comments?

> It is titled "Shattered Myths" by Daniel Zwerdling on page 72 of the
> August 2004 issue of Gourmet Magazine, a Conde Nast publication, phone
> US (212)286-2860 in New York.
>
> The article bolstered my suspicion about the power of suggestion and
> wine: if someone tells you X, then you are likely to perceive X. So,
> I still think this business that the shape of the glass affects the
> quality of the taste/smell is plain old marketing bull$hit.

Shape clearly has an influence on how well a wine presents
in a glass, but, like you, I don't believe the impact of shape
to be subtle. There are basically glasses that work and those
that don't. If you're spending more than $3/stem for glasses
that work, you're generally paying for something other than
functional qualities.

Dana