Mike Avery

Kenneth wrote:

>All that said, the tiles will not do anything magical:
>
>The issue is mass, and the tiles you describe are just not
>very heavy.

Cooks Illustrated was curious how much good a hearthkit would do. And
they were about to really pan the product, because in their high-end
ovens, it made no difference.

Someone had an inspiration and sent a hearthkit home with a staffer to
see what happened in a regular oven. And... in the regular oven, they
made a lot of difference.

I am reluctant to assume that because the tiles made no difference in a
bongard, they will make no difference in a GE.

I've been using unglazed quarry tiles for years, and like them a lot.
The next step up, fibrament stones, are also very good.

Yes, the mass is less than that of a bongard, but they WILL help.
Samartha has given good advice on air flow. Make sure you let the tiles
warm up completely - let the oven heat for 30 to 45 minutes.

Also, while you can put the dough directly on the tiles, it is easier to
use parchment paper. If you put the dough in the wrong place, you can
move it if it's on parchment paper.

And despite comments to the contrary, I used a LOT of parchment paper in
my commercial bakery, and so do almost all the bakers I talk to.

Mike