RsH

It affects a lot of things :-)

1. Reduce yeast 1 gram at a time until you find the correct amount to
use. You cannot use the same amount someone at sea level uses. Lower
atmospheric pressure means the bread rises higher as there is less
resistance when gas is produced. If it rises too high, it collapses as
you bake it!

2. Reduce liquid SLIGHTLY until you find the correct amount to use.
Whatever that percentage reduction is becomes your starting point for
future recipes as a percentage reduction re liquids.

3. Find flour with the finest grind you can. Courser flour does not
work as well at altitude.

There are other tricks re higher altitude as well...

RsH

On 11 Feb 2005 09:03:00 -0800, wrote:

>Thanks again RsH. Your information is much appreciated. In fact, I do
>live at 5400 feet so I will search for info on high altitude baking.
>When it comes to cooking I had thought that altitude only affected
>boiling water temperatures. I have a lot to learn I guess. Thanks!
>Greg

Copyright retained. My opinions - no one else's...
If this is illegal where you are, do not read it!