Graeme...in London

"Brad Houser" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> > "Brad Houser" > wrote:
> > > []
> > > I was the BBQ hero saturday night!
> > >
> > > I will be moving on to bigger things soon.
> > >
> > > Question: Since I am using mesquite charcoal, do I really need the

> soaked
> > > wood chips?
> > >

> > Success is always fun, isn't it? I like mesquite lump because it seems

> > burn so well, and, it seems to me, charcoal is charcoal. I can't detect

> > noticeable flavor from the mesquite lump. The guys who have much more
> > experience than me will advise you on chips and chunks. For pork and

beef,
> > I like to start with hickory chunks, for chicken and seafood, citrus. I
> > don't soak 'em.

> Thanks all for the great advice.
>
> Did I say chips? I meant to say chunks. I jkust finished off the last of

the
> chicken for my lunch. I was thinking of a pork butt this weekend.
>
> Brad

Brad, if you are planning cooking a butt, I would strongly recommend either
one or both of these suggestions.

1) Get yourself a grate to ensure some ash can fall away from the burning
coals. With an ECB on long cooks using lump, you will get a build-up of ash
and this will cause the temperature to drop and the coals will not produce
the desired heat. (nae probs with a 3 1/2 hour chicken, butts are a
different animal)

2) Drill a few extra holes in the charcoal pan. (This makes a big difference
with air flow.)

Cook to 190 - 195F internal and you'll be fine.

Post some pics on abf.

Graeme