Top Spin

On Sun, 6 Feb 2005 07:54:50 -0500, "Dee Randall"
<deedoveyatshenteldotnet> wrote:

>"UnConundrrum" > wrote in message
>> lid wrote:
>>> At the moment, I am rising at room temperature near the oven.
>>> I can't raise the temperature any higher without actually
>>> putting the dough in the oven, so in effect, I can't speed
>>> up the process of rising. Therefore double rising makes my
>>> breadmaking longer than a single rise, since after knocking
>>> back the dough, I'm waiting for the second rise.
>>>

>> This may vary with the type of bread, and what you do to the dough between
>> each rise. I made baguettes today, and folded the dough after an hour.
>> This "fold" helped to strengthen the dough. I then let it raise for
>> another hour, and pre-shaped it, letting it rest a half hour, before final
>> shaping. Then it proofed for yet another hour... Giving it all that time
>> for flavor to develop made a wonderful baguette

>At what point do you have to stop 'folding,' 'raising,' 'resting,'
>'pre-shaping,' 'proofing,' before all of the yeast is gone for any kind of
>development at all.
>Thanks,
>Dee

Isn't it the food that the yeast "eats" that gets used up, not the
yeast itself? Maybe that's what you meant.

But it is an interesting question. How much rising is enough, not
enough, or too much? And how can I tell where it is?

--
Hitachi HB-A101 bread machine, 1 pound
Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
(01/10/05)