Katra

In article >,
Boron Elgar > wrote:

> On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 18:51:31 -0600, Damsel in dis Dress
> > wrote:
>
> >On 4 Feb 2005 00:37:08 GMT, Thelma Lubkin >
> >wrote:
> >
> >> 2.6 is a misprint: 4.0 is approximately equivalent to an
> >> *average*--not fasting, blood glucose reading of 65. 2.6
> >> and you'd be fighting for your life.

> >When I went to the ER last week for pneumonia, there was a woman who
> >sounded like she was dying. Then she got really quiet. The doctor talked
> >at length with the husband, explaining that his wife had likely just
> >suffered a stroke. She couldn't talk, etc.
> >
> >Then the lab work came back. Her blood sugar was 30. They gave her
> >glucose, and she was a new woman! Kept her overnight for observation.
> >
> >I know what 40 feels like, and I don't ever want to go there again.
> >
> >Thanks for the clarification, Thelma.
> >
> >Carol

> I woke up in the middle of the night with 28 once. I was on prednisone
> and I had serious crashes before on it, but this one was a doozy. I
> woke The Hub (darling that he is about it all) and he knows exactly
> what to do - pay no attention to what I say, make sure I get some
> glucose tabs into me, along with juice or milk and help me keep
> checking the BGs until they get above 50.
>
> I amazed my MD with the story, until I was at her office a couple of
> weeks later & told her she better get the blood work done fast, as I
> was crashing. She did and it came back from the lab at 30 (I was still
> on the prednisone)
>
> (and yes, the meter is accurate)
>
> Boron

We lost one of our directors a couple of years ago...
He had been a "brittle" diabetic for many years. He was 72 but was still
very active and otherwise healthy and he worked out at the local health
club regularly.

He was found face down in the jacuzzi at the health club one day,
drowned. They took him to the ER but were unable to save him.

His glucose came back 17 mg/dl. :-(

What a waste.
--
K.

Sprout the MungBean to reply

"I don't like to commit myself about heaven and hell--you
see, I have friends in both places." --Mark Twain