Old 03-02-2005, 11:33 PM
CabFan

On 3-Feb-2005, Midlife wrote:

Yeah, I've looked around on the newsgroup before asking, but it seems
most threads on this topic are regarding long-term storage. Or
regarding very expensive equipment ($50 for a nitrogen system is
expensive to me. Now. So far. Until I get more experienced and
knowledgeable and build a valueable (in effort and appreciation, not
nec' price) collection.)

I only just started getting into wine appreciation. Before last year my
experience has been pretty much any inexpensive white zinf'. Then I
went crazy and went all out and tried cabernet sauvingon. =) (Only to
recently find out it's kind of become the generic "safe" grape.) So,
now that I'm starting to really TASTE wine, and analyze, and pick and
choose, and build a volcabulary and experience, I'd like to also take
care in preserving wine. After all, I'm the only person in the
household who drinks wine (well, my wife will have a glass now and
then,) and so I'll usually have to put away half to 3/4 bottles into
the fridge. Even 24 hours later the taste seems to change.

So, what are some good, inexpensive suggestions for keeping an opened
bottle 2 to 3, maybe 4 days?

I saw the recommendation of using half-bottles. Not bad, I'll try that,
but doesn't seem very consistant.
I also saw something on Private Preserve inert gas replacement. That
sounds like a good idea. A little expensive, for now, but if it's the
best option then I think that's worth it.
What about those $12 cheapy vacuum pump tops? Good enough to keep for a
couple of days?
And finally, refridgeration. Good idea? Bad idea? Only in conjunction
with a particular tupe of storage? I understand refidgeration can slow
the oxidation, but, does it contribute to any other changes?

Thanks for any suggestions!
Liam

I've used a VacuVin pump for years and find that it, combined with
refrigeration, seems to keep wine relatively well for 4 or 5 days. The
pump
costs around US$9 or $10 and a couple of extra stoppers are US$3.

Re-filling smaller bottles, logically speaking, would seem to be as good
or
better since it keeps the wine free of oxygen, and using a real cork could
be more effective than the VacuVin stopper. What doesn't compute for me is
how good this method is if the left-over wine doesn't completely fill the
smaller bottle. Also, if the left-over quantity is more than the smaller
bottle holds, you are forced to drink the rest ;o) or fill another small
bottle only part way. I think I'd vote for VacuVin unless your taste
sensitivity finds a recognizable difference with the smaller bottle
method.

Never tried the nitrogen method.

Our personal preference is to just drink the whole darn bottle, but that's
easier with two than with one person.... the next best thing (in my opinion)
is a combination of both the half-bottle route and the Vaccu-vin route. I
open a full bottle and immediately pour into the half-bottle until its full.
Then I use the Vaccu-vin to seal it and then put it the refrigerator.

The rationale behind this is that in the half-bottle, there is less air on
the surface and the vaccu-vin has a much better chance of getting most of it
out. In a half-full full-bottle, the vaccu-vin just doesn't cut it, except
maybe for overnight.

Good luck,
Gary