Priscilla H. Ballou

Dan Abel wrote:

> In article >, Hahabogus
> > wrote:
>
> > carbs per day. Keeps me in the low 5's mmol or high 90's mg/dl.
> > A BG reading over 7.8 mmol or 140mg/dl indicates permenent damage is
> > being done to your body so stay well away from that high. There are

> Are you talking about fasting bg? I thought that 140 was on the edge of
> acceptable. Mine was 143 last time I had blood drawn, and the doctor said
> that that was OK. Of course, I also had an A1C of 6.1, so maybe that's
> why. I took a look at the American Diabetes Association website, and they
> are saying that under 100 is normal, over 126 is diabetes and in between
> is pre-diabetes.

Yes, those are the current ranges. A repeated fasting BG of over 125
confirms a diagnosis of diabetes. If your doctor said a fasting BG of
143 is "ok" then you need another doctor! And a second fasting BG test
to confirm the diagnosis.

Two years ago I got a fasting BG of 130. I immediately started
low-carbing, and in two weeks a repeat test was 103, which at the time
was below the bottom of the "prediabetes" range. (They've since dropped
that bottom from 110 to 100.) So my official diagosis is Metabolic
Syndrome, although my endocrinologist made clear to me that he was
putting that down purely for my insurance company, since I hadn't
technically qualified for the real diagnosis of diabetes. Privately, he
wanted to be sure I understood that he was confirming my understanding
that I had diabetes.

I recommend Gretchen Becker's book on the first year with type 2
diabetes. She's got a lot of useful information in there, and it's
written in a very panic-reducing way. ;-)

I think it's time for you to start learning. Sorry!

Priscilla
--
"Just because I don't throw a hissy fit and leave on account of the
'Jesus is my boyfriend' music doesn't mean I approve of it --- it just