Vox Humana > wrote:

> You simply said that you wanted to become self-sufficient and did not
> mention any other benefit from doing so. I pointed out that yeast is so
> inexpensive that it wouldn't be worth the bother.

Expensiveness and bother are subjective variables. I respect your right
to shopbuy your yeast, as I'm sure you will allow me to do otherwise.

> wanted to make bread with some special quality not possible with commercial
> yeast, that would be a different matter. Of course I know that it is
> possible, and that many people bake bread using the starter that have been
> cultivating for years. I guess I wonder why stop with the yeast?
> Why not grown your own wheat, gather water from a stream, evaporate sea
> water for salt, and make your own wood fired oven? It might be an
> interesting intellectual exercise, but life is too short to fool around
> reinventing the wheel, in my opinion.

You digress too far. My original posting is about being self-sufficient
in *yeast* for baking. Growing wheat and the other activities
you mention requires land and capital, whereas maintaining a yeast
supply is something any peasant can do.

Thanks for your opinions. Very interesting perspective.