Vox Humana > wrote:

> Why reinvent the wheel? You can get two pounds of active dry yeast for
> about $3.50 - maybe less if you shop around. Like anything else, using the
> right tools and right ingredients results in a better product with less
> effort.

I'm not sure I understand your comments.

I'm researching techniques used to propagate and maintain a yeast
culture for breadmaking, and synergies with other craft activities
(viz. homebrewing). A wholistic approach, perhaps.

If you think it is not possible to be self-sufficient in yeast for
baking, perhaps you might like to clarify and elaborate on your
opinion. Always interested to hear another baker's views. :-)

Regarding the cost of yeast, which you mention in your post. If
cost alone was the criteria used for baking bread, I may as
well rely on the corporations completely and retire from the craft.

Regards