On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 04:24:56 GMT, da wrote:
Rona and Vox thank-you for your responses.

Rona,

The cookbook is an old, old Dr. Oetker book. At one time Dr. Oetker
actually sold the irons, but they no longer do so. In fact they don't
seem to have ever heard of the cookies or the iron. I'll try GoldAsk
and see if they can point me in the right direction.

The cigar/cigarette cookie suggestion is also a good one. I had no
idea what those cookies were called in English. I know that sounds
silly, but most of the imported ones I see in the stores come from
Germany or Belgium or Holland and they don't seem to carry an English
label that says "cigarette cookies." They just slap a picture of the
product on the box. Actually I find this problem a lot. I've got lots
of German and European recipes, but if I have to put an English name
on them to describe them to somebody I'm usually at a loss for words.

Vox,

I had never looked at a pizzelle iron. As I said since I have
absolutely no clue what an Eiser cake iron is supposed to look like,
so I didn't know what I should be looking for in a substitute. Also,
I'm pretty clueless about Italian backing in general, although I've
recently added a fabulous apricot biscotti recipe into my list of
no-fail creations.

After looking at a few examples, however, I'm not sure a pizzelle iron
is quite what I want, as the pattern seems to require a pretty thick
cookie -- at least compared to the depth of the cigarette/Eiser cake
layer. I think I'd do equally well with the flat plates of my sandwich
maker. Still it's something to keep in the back of my mind in case I
can't find a better solution.
--Vic