Jean B.

ScratchMonkey wrote:

> http://groups-
> beta.google.com/group/rec.food.cooking/browse_frm/thread/4dc4f0ec8903dd4b/3
> 19050e3cc1c8d78?q=hellmans+best+foods&_done=%2Fgro ups%3Fq%
> 3Dhellmans+best+foods%26&_doneTitle=Back+to+Search &&d#319050e3cc1c8d78
>
> I first noticed it in 2002 but apparently it started a couple years before
> that.

No, that was not what *I* (anyway) was speaking of. Yes, they
changed then, but then some of us discovered that the mayo in the
squeeze bottle was the mayo of yore (or extremely similar). It
was NOT the same as the mayo in the jar, even though the front of
the label would have led one to believe that was the case. NOW
that mayo has changed.

> The original Best Foods, before the Unilever acquisition, had vinegar high
> on the ingredients list. Kraft was quite bland in comparison because it had
> less acidity. My theory is that, with no one more acidic than BF, Unilever
> could move towards a less acidic formulation and hope to capture some of
> Kraft's market. Who would the BF junkies switch to?
>
> The Mexican "Limon" variant of BF (with the orange lid) is much closer to
> the original formula. I've also found it effective to stir in a little
> white vinegar.

Well, MY response is to find another mayo--or to (finally) make it
myself.
--
Jean B.