Vox Humana

"sshay" > wrote in message

> "Vox Humana" > wrote in message
> > Earlier this month I found a message touting inexpensive bags for the

Food

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...5d122d7115c868

> > I check the website for Davidson's Bucher Supply and found that 50 bag

(8
> > x12) were only $10.40 so I though I would give them a try. Shipping was
> > listed as $2.50. Upon check-out, I got a confirmation that my credit

card
> > would be charged a total of $12.90. I saved a copy of the page for
> > reference.
> >
> > Today, fifteen days later the bags arrived. I opened them and tried one

> out
> > but putting an empty soda can in and sealing with my Seal-a-Meal. It

> worked
> > fine, but lost the vacuum after about 20 minutes. I tried again, and so
> > far, so good.
> >
> > The major problem I had is that when I checked the invoice, they charged
> > $8.20, not $2.50 for shipping! I sent them an email, and they promptly
> > called me. I expected an apology and offer to promptly fix the problem.
> > Instead, I got a lengthy excuse about how they couldn't have shipped the
> > product for that amount. Also, they told me that they don't process

their
> > own credit card orders and a lot of other BS about problems with the UPS
> > system the calculates their costs. I was told to look at the "agreement"

> > checked when I ordered the product. I went back and found this"
> >
> > "shopping cart "does not" process your credit card immediately. Your

> order
> > is put into a "secure server" for review. Any necessary changes will be
> > made to your order prior to your credit card being charged. (For

example
> if
> > the item you are purchasing shows "Free Shipping" and a shipping charge
> > shows up in the shopping cart, don't be concerned because when we review
> > your order the shipping charges will be removed.)"
> >
> > From reading this agreement, I don't see anything that says I have

agreed
> > an arbitrary cost for shipping.
> >
> > The bottom line is, that I wouldn't do business with these people as you
> > won't know how much the shipping will be until you receive the order.

The
> > erson I talked with was quite argumentative, although he said that he

> would
> > give me "a discount" on a future order. I told him that I wouldn't do
> > business with them again because I would be afraid of the shipping

charge.

> > Just a "heads up" to anyone who was tempted to do business with

Davidson's
> > Butcher Supply.
> >
> > I ordered 50 bags from them on Jan. 23, 2005 and I have not heard

> anything from them yet. Mine are 10x14 and the total is $ 15.45 plus $2.50
> for shipping. I sure hope they don't try and overcharge me. I have the
> recipt from thier site right here.

I'd say that you can count on being charged more. They didn't process my
order for 4 days, so the charge may have hit your account today or
yesterday. They sent the bags in a shipping envelope and the total weight
was 2 pounds. If you go to UPS.com you can estimate the shipping charges.
Their zip code is 90040. Select the option where you drop off the package
to UPS. That will be the amount they charge for shipping - at least it was
in my case. It took 15 days for the bags to reach me after I placed the
order! They were very aware of the problem and tried to pass it off as MY
fault. "Keith" kept saying that they had the right to adjust the charges.
It was quite infuriating. I suggest that if you talk with them that you
tell them that you are aware of my situation. I'll bet that he remembers
the person that he talked with in Cincinnati - I can about guarantee it as I
was quite blunt with him.

They know their system isn't working right and they need to fix it or close
the site. Good luck. Let me know what happens. Maybe if enough people
complain - perhaps to the CA Attorney General's office, something will be
done about it. I wouldn't have ordered from them knowing that the shipping
costs would be 80% of the purchase price.