Edward Alfert

zxcvbob > wrote in
:

> Vox Humana wrote:
>> Earlier this month I found a message touting inexpensive bags for the
>> Food Save and other vacuum sealing systems. Here is a link to the
>> message:
>> http://groups-

beta.google.com/group/rec.food.preserving/msg/4f5d122d71
>> 15c868
>>
>> I check the website for Davidson's Bucher Supply and found that 50
>> bag (8 x12) were only $10.40 so I though I would give them a try.
>> Shipping was listed as $2.50. Upon check-out, I got a confirmation
>> that my credit card would be charged a total of $12.90. I saved a
>> copy of the page for reference.
>>
>> Today, fifteen days later the bags arrived. I opened them and tried
>> one out but putting an empty soda can in and sealing with my
>> Seal-a-Meal. It worked fine, but lost the vacuum after about 20
>> minutes. I tried again, and so far, so good.
>>
>> The major problem I had is that when I checked the invoice, they
>> charged $8.20, not $2.50 for shipping! I sent them an email, and
>> they promptly called me. I expected an apology and offer to promptly
>> fix the problem. Instead, I got a lengthy excuse about how they
>> couldn't have shipped the product for that amount. Also, they told
>> me that they don't process their own credit card orders and a lot of
>> other BS about problems with the UPS system the calculates their
>> costs. I was told to look at the "agreement" I checked when I ordered
>> the product. I went back and found this"
>>
>> "shopping cart "does not" process your credit card immediately. Your
>> order is put into a "secure server" for review. Any necessary
>> changes will be made to your order prior to your credit card being
>> charged. (For example if the item you are purchasing shows "Free
>> Shipping" and a shipping charge shows up in the shopping cart, don't
>> be concerned because when we review your order the shipping charges
>> will be removed.)"
>>
>> From reading this agreement, I don't see anything that says I have
>> agreed to an arbitrary cost for shipping.
>>
>> The bottom line is, that I wouldn't do business with these people as
>> you won't know how much the shipping will be until you receive the
>> order. The p erson I talked with was quite argumentative, although
>> he said that he would give me "a discount" on a future order. I told
>> him that I wouldn't do business with them again because I would be
>> afraid of the shipping charge.
>>
>> Just a "heads up" to anyone who was tempted to do business with
>> Davidson's Butcher Supply.
>>

> Call your credit card company and "charge back" the difference between
> what the invoice says and the amount that was charged. Tell them you
> have an invoice for $12.90, you contacted the company and they refuse
> to refund the overcharge.
>
> If they will not charge back just the difference, charge back the
> entire $19 or whatever it was.
>
> Best regards,
> Bob

Vox,

I agree with Bob, contact your credit card company for a charge back. A
merchant should adhere to their own invoices, even if it is a pricing
mistake.

It is actually very stupid of merchants not to try and please the
customer for several reasons.

(1) They will lose that customer if they don't.
(2) It costs more to acquire a new customer (because of advertising,
marketing, and other expenses) than to keep a current customers (that is
why many companies have customer loyalty programs to give discounts to
current customers).
(3) Customer can always attempt to get problem resolved via other means
that will negatively impact the merchant.
(3a) Bad word-of-mouth that spreads quickly (particularly in this
Internet age).
(3b) Customer can contact credit card company and ask for a chargeback
that costs the merchant about $25-$35 chargeback fee in addition to the
charged back amount of the order. And usually the burden of proof is
with the merchant and not the credit card holder. The credit card
companies tend to lean towards credit card holder.
(3c) Customer can contact Better Business Beauru or other consumer
activist organizations.
(3d) Customer can contact government organizations like State Attorney's
office or whomever handles "truth-in-advertising" and other consumer
issues.

--
Edward Alfert
http://www.rootmode.com/