mroo philpott-smythe

wrote in news:20050112030638.940
:

wrote:

>> > I do painless steaming.

>> painless to you, or the lobster? do you believe that lobsters scream
>> when they are plunged into boiling water? (just curious, not being
>> sarcastic or anything)

The crabs sure do squeak. Makes me feel bad.

> That's one reason why I don't boil them. I pretend that as the cold

water
> heats up and the steam slowly evolves, they don't notice the difference
> until they turn red. I know, don't say it, I know.

> When I was as young as seven, and one of the hens would stop laying, my
> gramma would ask me to bring the chicken up to the house, so she could
> 'talk to it'. Although I had names for all the chickens, I would bring
> Henrietta (she was one of my favorites) up to the house, knowing what

was
> to happen. Grandma would slit her throat, bleed her out and we'd have
> chicken that night. Henrietta was delicious! Panatipata, etc.

My dad had chickens. He gave them all names. My mum said, "Why you want
to name them, we're gonna eat them anyway!" When the time came, Dad
couldn't bear to kill them. He said, "I've raised them since they were
eggs!" So Mum pushed him out of the way and wrung their necks herself.
Dad refused to touch the chicken curry.

We kids ate it anyway. It was delicious. But I still feel sorry for those
poor chickens!

sq