Old Magic1

"Kyle Phillips" > wrote in message

> > The best osso buco I ever had was in a French restaurant tucked away on
> > a mountain in the Catskills. "Osso buco" is Italian for something like
> > "country bone". Authentic in a French restaurant? Maybe not, but it sure
> > was good!

> Osso buco is Italian for bone (osso) with a hole (buco) in it. In other
> words, shanks of some kind (usually beef or veal, though you can find
> others, including turkey) cut crosswise so they have a ring of bone with
> some marrow in it, surrounded by meat.

Authentic Italian Osso Bucco

2 Tbls. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2 lbs centre-cut veal shanks
1 Tbls. butter
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 celery stalks, finely chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 can (28 oz/796 mL) PRIMO Tomatoes, drained
1 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 bay leaf
1/2 tsp each salt, pepper, dried basil and thyme
1/3 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
2 garlic cloves, minced
4 cups Gnocchi (dumplings)
zest of 1 lemon, minced

In large, heavy saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Brown shanks in
batches, approximately 1 minute per side. Remove from pan and set aside.
Add butter to pan and reduce heat to medium. Add carrots, celery and onion;
cook 15 minutes, or until softened and lightly browned, stirring
occasionally.
Stir in tomatoes, chicken stock, bay leaf, salt, pepper, basil, thyme and
browned veal shanks; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 2
hours, or until meat is very tender.
Combine parsley, garlic and lemon zest; set aside.

Ricotta Gnocchi

1 egg yolk
1 lb. ricotta cheese
˝ lb. flour
2 tbsp. Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper

On a well-floured surface, mix the ricotta and egg together.
Slowly add in the half cup of flour and the grated Parmesan.
Season with salt and pepper.
Knead the dough for 1-2 minutes or until all ingredients are combined and
the dough is just slightly sticky.
Add more flour if the dough is too sticky to work with.
Separate the dough in to sections and roll each section of dough with your
hands into snake like logs until the thickness is about 1-1/2 inches.
Cross cut the logs so the gnocchi is about 1-1/2 - 2 inches by 1-1/2 - 2
inches.
Place the Gnocchi on a well-floured surface and refrigerate for at least one
hour.
Cook the gnocchi in boiling water for 1-2 minutes or until they are heated
through.
Drain the gnocchi and pour onto a plate or pasta dish.
Serve osso buco over gnocchi (dumplings) sprinkled with the parsley mixture.

(Variation)

Gnocchi Di Semolina

3 1/2 cups Milk
3/4 cups Fine semolina
1/2 cups Butter
6 Tbls. Parmesan cheese
2 Egg yolks
Salt
Pepper
Pinch of ground nutmeg
Breadcrumbs

These are sometimes thought to be a Roman specialty, but in fact they are
eaten all over Italy.
Heat milk with a pinch of salt, and when it boils gradually add semolina,
stirring the whole time with a wooden spoon to avoid lumps.
Continue to cook, stirring, for 20 minutes.
Remove from heat and add 2 tablespoons butter in small pieces, then
gradually stir in 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese, the egg yolk, one at a
time, a pinch of pepper and nutmeg.
Oil 1 or 2 large dishes or clean marble kitchen slab and pour semolina
mixture on.
Spread out to 1/2-inch thickness using a cold wet spatula and allow to cool.
Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C).
Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter; use some of butteráto to grease the
casserole you want to cook and serve gnocchi in.
Cut out squares or circles of semolina dough and place in greased dish.
Drizzle with butter and sprinkle with parmesan, add a second layer of
gnocchi, and so on.
Sprinkle breadcrumbs over gnocchi and bake for about 20 minutes or until
golden brown.

Makes 4 servings

--
Old Magic 1