Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 21 Jan 2005 05:01:03a, Alexander Ausserstorfer wrote in
rec.food.baking:

> That time I worked as baker in Canada an another employer in the bakery
> made a cake called "Alaska bomb". I can't remember what it was exactly,
> but in the middle of was icecream. Does anybody have a recipe?
>
> Ciao,
>
> Alexander Ausserstorfer

You need technique and instructions more than a recipe. Most any
compatible cake and ice cream flavors will do. The most memorable baked
alaska I was ever served was made by a friend of my mother's. She used a
dark chocolate cake and mint-chocolate chip ice cream.

You can use 2 cake layers with a layer of ice cream in between, or just 1
cake layer with ice cream on top. All will be covered with the meringue.

NOTE: Leave a 1/2" border of plain cake when you spread the ice cream.

1. Start heating oven to 450ø F. Set cake base on brown
paper (1/2" larger than cake) on cookie sheet.

2. Make meringue: With egg beater or electric mixer,
beat 3 egg whites until they stand in peaks when
beater is raised. Slowly add 6 tablesp. granulated
sugar, beating until stiff and glossy.

3. Quickly fill or top cake base with 1 qt. very firm
ice cream. Top with 2nd cake layer, if using. Quickly
cover entire assembly completely with meringue. If desired,
sprinkle with slivered almonds, shaved chocolate, or
shredded coconut. Bake 4 to 5 min., or until delicate
brown.

4. Remove Alaska from oven at once. Slip 2 spatulas
between Baked Alaska and paper. Transfer Alaska to
chilled serving dish. Garnish with canned fresh peach
slices, berries, etc. Serve at once.

P.S. To serve ablaze, pour bit of lemon extract on 3
sugar cubes; set on meringue; light; carry to table.

One last thought... You can have the cake layer(s) and pre-shaped ice
cream at the ready and stored in the freezer for quick assembly before
covering with meringue.

HTH

Wayne