Edward Alfert

"Loki" > wrote in
:

> il Wed, 19 Jan 2005 18:44:47 GMT, The Joneses ha scritto:
>
>> I would buy from online stores if I could get many strange and
>> offbeat supplies as well as more common products together in one
>> order. For example, pickling lime can be hard to find (altho I've
>> never used what I got), and ClearJel is cheap, but the shipping is
>> expensive, and I need some more regular small lids, not the rings.
>> I'd like to buy some small single use jars, but I'm afraid the
>> shipping would be exorbitant. Some places seem to make up their price
>> by tacking on huge shipping/handling fees. Edrena

> They sure do. I got some CD's that had a $3.40 canadian stamp on the
> wrapping, but we were charged $20 US which was as much as for the
> CD's. I'd never deal with that supplier again. So it was counter
> productive for them if they wanted repeat business.
>
> Online shopping sounds great but I still like to see and touch before
> I buy :-)

That is excessive. It is just to charge actual shipping. I also believe
it is moral to charge a small handling fee (the "H" part of "S&H") if it is
disclosed up front. But $7 handling fee seems excessive for a cdrom.

Loki, thanks for sharing about liking to see and touch a product before
deciding to buy. This is definitely a benefit of offline stores. Some
product categories might be impacted more by this than others. For
instance, I couldn't imagine myself buying clothing online because of this
reason.

--
Edward Alfert
http://www.rootmode.com/