Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 20 Jan 2005 04:02:13p, Dee Randall called across the abyss...

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> Does anyone have a good yellow cake recipe made with oil instead of
>> solid shortening or butter? I am not looking for a chiffon cake.
>>
>> I'd like to eliminate hydrogenated fat and trans fat.

>> Wayne

> Wayne, I have not included all of this recipe, but here are the
> ingredients. I saw this on Everyday Italian. It amused me to see a cake
> with so much oil, but I suppose there are many cakes with the
> equivalency of butter or shortening.
>
> One thing I've done in cakes that has been around a long time is use the
> suggestion to substitute 1/4 cup applesauce for 1/4 cup of the oil (if
> it calls for 1/2 cup oil or 3/4 cup oil or butter). I am not suggesting
> that this cake below would be good with that applesauce substitute.
>
> Cake:
>
> 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
>
> 2 teaspoons baking powder
>
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
>
> 1 cup sugar
>
> 3 large eggs
>
> 2 teaspoons orange zest
>
> 2 teaspoons lemon zest
>
> 1/4 cup whole milk
>
> 3/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
>
> 2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted, coarsely crumbled
>
> Powdered sugar, for sifting
>

> To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil an
> 8-inch-diameter cake pan. Whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt in a
> medium bowl to blend. Using an electric mixer, beat the sugar, eggs, and
> zests in a large bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in the milk. Gradually
> beat in the oil. Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Stir
> in the almonds. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Place cake pan
> on baking pan to collect any possible spills. Bake until a tester
> inserted into the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs
> attached, about 35 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool for 15 minutes.
> Remove cake and place on serving platter, top side up. Sift powdered
> sugar over the cake.
>

> Wayne, this cake is served with a citrus compote, recipe for which is
> included at the Food Channel site for this recipe. But I didn't include
> it here, as I wonder if anyone would want to make this cake. It could
> be an interesting cake, depending on one's taste. But, I could eat a
> piece of it -- I think -- until the olive oil started oozing out of my
> poores.
>
> Dee

Dee, that sounds like a wonderful cake! We love olive oil, and I'm sure it
works well in this recipe. Actually, many cakes call for 1 cup of butter
or shortening, so that much oil wouldn't be that unusual. The chocolate
cake I make with oil calls for 1/2 cup vegetable oil.

I pulled up the recipe and the compote also sounds delicious. I think this
will be a cake for the weekend!

Speaking of substituting applesauce for a part of the shortening or oil,
I'd forgotten how good an Applesauce Cake is. That's another one I should
put back on the menu as it requires very little fat.

Thanks, Dee...

Wayne