crymad

Space Cowboy wrote:
> The name you mentioned isn't ringing a bell. I'll look for
> it. My real quandry I can taste little difference between the
> expensive and cheaf stuff on the shelves. I say that because
> I'm sure that the selection I see is representative of what
> is available in Japan.

We can't be sure of that. Or maybe your store stocks outdated
tea. Maeda-en I mentioned before apparently sells direct from
within the US:

http://www.maeda-en.com/contents/products/green_tea.htm

Why not lay down your reservations about online retailers and try
some mail order. If it happens none of their stuff does anything
for you either, perhaps the only conclusion is that Japanese
green tea just doesn't speak to you.

> How do Japanese develop product loyalty if consistency in
> taste isn't a given? I can understand it just doesn't work
> that way so what is my consumer hook to keep buying from me?
> I don't think something like 'trust me' would sell in the
> West.

Perhaps a parallel would be wine in France. People buy by region
and variety. And the reputation of the retailer.

--crymad