Vox Humana

Default All purpose --> bread flour substitution, what to adjust?

"Joe B" > wrote in message
> I have a dinner roll recipe that calls for about 2 cups of all purpose
> flour. I've made the recipe and like it. I want to try it using
> bread flour instead of all purpose to see if it will be
> heartier/chewier. First question: is this a correct assumption?
> Second question: if I do the substitution, will I need to adjust
> anything else to compensate, like the amount of water or yeast?

It is somewhat hard to say. Some AP flour is rather high in gluten. If you
have AP made from Canadian wheat, it may be at least as high as bread flour
made by some US mills. That aside, if you use higher gluten wheat, the
product should be chewier. I'm not sure what hearty means. To some that
might mean more dense. High gluten flour produces dough that rises well.
The product might have a chewy crust, but the crumb might be lighter. Steam
also influences the texture of the crust. High gluten flour binds more
water than low gluten flour. You will have to compensate for that by feel.
Flour is cheap. I would recommend that you make a batch with each type of
flour and compare the two.