Chris Neidecker

> wrote in message
oups.com...
..
> I have had a few modern replacements and have been really dissapointed.
> Has anyone else noticed this or am I crazy?

I guess I don't know enough about older toasters (or toast for that
matter!) to agree or disagree with your reasons for not liking modern
toasters, but I'm not wild about the last few toasters we've had. Go to
amazon.com and read the reviews of several of the toasters on that site.
Last year, I received two toasters for Christmas -- a Kitchenaid and a
Cuisinart -- and was shocked at all the lousy reviews I read about both of
them. We ended up keeping the Kitchenaid, and it's been so-so. For $80, we
oughtta love it, IMO. The type of bread definitely makes a difference,
though -- really *good* bread does make the best toast.

Folks on Amazon seemed to like the really expensive, retro toasters
($200+....Dualit, etc.). I just don't like toast enough to spend that much
on a toaster!