Ed Rasimus

On 13 Jan 2005 05:59:33 -0800, "DaleW" > wrote:

>If the question is solely provenance, Zachys is probably my first
>choice. But they are seldom anywhere near price leaders on older
>bottles.
>
>Sherry-Lehmann has good storage but again tends to be a bit high, but
>currently has the '75 Gruaud-Larose at a good price ($90 I think). I'm
>putting together a G-L vertical offline and was just checking their
>Gruaud prices (I already have the '75), so unsure what else they have.
>
>In addition to K & L, other merchants that tend to get mentioned in
>discussions of older bottles include Premier Cru , John Hart, &
>MacArthurs/Bassins. Sam's, Calvert-Woodley, Wine Exchange, Rochambeau,
>etc. tend to mostly have more recent vintages in my (limited)
>experience.
>A google search on this group would show some past discussions.

I agree about Zachys. They seem to have everything although they can
be a bit pricey.

I'm also getting almost daily email offerings from D. Sokolin, which
include a lot of older vintages. Apparently they are into quite a bit
of estate liquidation (no pun intended) of wine cellars. Pricing seems
reasonable and I think they offer some level of provenance
confirmation. (We've recently had some comments in the group regarding
Sokolin performance, but I've never had difficulty in a relatively
small number of transactions with the company. YMMV.)

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org