Douglas Sur

Thomas Muffaletto wrote:
> "Douglas Sur" > wrote in message
>
>>Thomas Muffaletto wrote:
>>
>>>"Douglas Sur" > wrote in message

>>>first off - I sometimes say " I think" when I actually know
>>>but lets face it when it comes to nutrition there are alot of opinions.
>>>
>>>Most of what I studied about nutrition before diagnosed diabetic
>>>was from mostly professional body building ( nope never had a body like
>>>that but have looked good from time to time )
>>>When I was into weight lifting I thought of food more along the lines
>>>as a fuel and didn't think of it as turning to sugar as I do now.
>>>in body building nutrition is probably 1 of the most important areas.
>>>if you don't fuel your body right you will not become a champion.
>>>That is basically why I eat the way I do and it is the easiest way I know
>>>of to
>>>have constant energy.
>>>I eat 3 meals and 2 or 3 snacks a day 45 carbs each meal and snack -
>>>snacks usually don't have protein.
>>>breakfast -
>>>15 carbs of fruit
>>>15 Net carbs of bran cereal + the nice amount of fiber.
>>>about 10 carbs from milk.
>>>
>>>I believe eating something fast acting like
>>>a fruit will prevent me from having a liver dump.
>>>but I guess veggies is also a good choice if not better
>>>depends on the rest of your diet I guess. something like
>>>bread would take longer for me.
>>>anyway the fuel part.
>>>the fruit gives me energy first and fastest
>>>as I come down from the fruit the bran kicks in
>>>as energy. if there wasn't any bran there or something like whole wheat
>>>bread or what ever
>>>my energy level and blood sugar would go way down.
>>>In short I always time my carbs so as one is almost used
>>>up another one is waiting to take its place.
>>>so
>>>45 carbs from bread with fruit is not the same as
>>>45 carbs from bread or
>>>45 carbs from fruit.
>>>I don't know how much you know about this stuff
>>>but a dietitian is a great starting place.
>>>

>>>Tom
>>>
>>>Information you can trust from the diabetes experts...
>>>Your American Diabetes Association
>>>http://www.diabetes.org/home.jsp
>>>See My Little Doggies
>>>http://www.gantlet.000k2.com/
>>>

>>What resource do you use to find how "fast acting" a food is? Does this
>>have to do with Glycemic values?

> for the most part my diet is already established.
> with small changes here and there.
> glycemic values are very important and easy to find
> on the internet. there are simple ways to explain it
> to a newbie but posts like that will get nitpicked to no end.
> Tom

I appreciate the Glycemic Index. A read about 1/2 of "The New Glucose
Revolution: The Authoritative Guide to The Glcemic Index" book. I think
it is a little too much for me to digest right now. My takeaway, for
now, from the book is try to eat more whole grain starch. White Rice
and Potatoes are bad. When I understand more about carb counting, I can
refine it more by adding in the Glycemic Index.