Musashi

"Gerry" > wrote in message =
.. .
> In article > , Musashi
> > wrote:
>=20
> > > So I steamed up the ankimo, and it came out pretty well. It would
> > > have been better had I remembered to buy the ponzu sauce. Doh!
> > >=20
> > > Only problem was I didn't have saki, only sushi mirin which was =

way
> > > too sweet. So I need to make another run to the market.
> > >=20
> > > BTW, Dave.. it didn't stink up the house all that much since I
> > > wrapped it in plastic and then in foil.

> >=20
> > Congrats Dan. Yes, I tend to use the traditional cheesecloth in =

which
> > case the smell in the kitchen will be stronger than if you use the
> > more modern method of platsic wraps and/or aluminim foil. Did you
> > make momiji oroshi?

>=20
> At a local haunt the wife and I were discussing how some chef's lay a
> piece of wax paper loosely atop a item while steaming. We notice =

other
> chef's laying a page of aluminum foil. but always very loose indeed.
>=20
> Are you saying that one can do the same thing with cheese cloth in a
> more traditional fashion?
>=20

Yes. The traditional way (meaning prior to the advent of Saran and =
Reynolds Wrap)
is by using a thin cotton cloth. Cheesecloth available today =
approximates this.
The only drawback is that after a couple of uses, that cloth simply can =
not be used
any more due to smell and stain.

Musashi