HUTCHNDI

ok, i tasted the starter, still doesnt really taste like much, but after
some reading,( i have jack o'shaunessy's sourdough book here) i have moved
my starter from the kitchen to the living room nearer to my woodstove, the
kitchen is kind of cool at this time big old house, below 70 anyways. you
think that might be a factor?

"Samartha" > wrote in message
news:mailman.1105288386.21825.rec.food.sourdough@w ww.mountainbitwarrior.com...
> At 08:53 AM 1/9/2005, you wrote:
> >Hello, new to this. I originally had a starter made from commericial

yeast
> >that I used for making a few loaves of bread, worked ok, but wanted to

try
> >making a natural one. Made a new starter from rye flour and water, in a

few
> >days it got bubbling, but no smell. I have been removing half and

feeding
> >twice a day, 3/4 cup water and 1 cup king arthur unbleached all purpose
> >flour, and it seams active, but still no sour smell. Almost a week now.

My
> >old commercial yeast starter at least had a sour smell to it. (i used

that