Derek

On Sat, 08 Jan 2005 23:12:58 -0500, Mike Petro wrote:

> He mentioned once in a post that he used a tea box as a "Rosetta
> Stone". He therefore feels that he owns a copyright on the term
> anytime it is associated with tea translation. My position has
> always been that I did not get the idea for my "Puerh Rosetta Page"
> from him, the term "Rosetta" is commonly used for projects related to
> translation in all sectors.

Very true. He has a thing against people shilling for commercial sites
in the newsgroup - which I happen to share. But, as far as I can tell,
your site is purely information - not even an advertisement.

As for his feelings on copyrights, he has a unique understanding of
what can be copyrighted. Protecting ideas for products/items requires
a patent. Protecting phrases requires a trademark.

Never mind the fact that there doesn't seem to be any record of him
actually making the post he claims to have made in 1995 where he
shared his idea. And Google's archive goes back to the April 11, 1995
start of this group.

As an academic, people who ignore copyright infuriate me. But people
who try to claim copyright where none exists irritate me to no end.

> Actually he was bitter towards me and tried to run me off long before
> I added the "Rosetta Page" to my site. I firmly believe that I could
> delete the page and he would still try to run me off. Life goes
> on.....

You're probably correct there.

--
Derek

The best leaders inspire by example. When that's not an option, brute
intimidation works pretty well, too.