jmcquown

Default Electric ovens take longer than gas ovens

Nancree wrote:
> I've seen it discussed that electric ovens take more time than a gas
> oven does to cook a casserole, pie, roast, etc. My experience is that
> it is true. The reason given is that the gas flame burns up the
> oxygen faster, or some such theory. I don't know if this is the
> right reason, but having cooked both both electricity and gas, I can
> tell you that in an electric oven always takes about 10 minutes
> longer.
> This includes the assumption that both ovens were properly
> pre-heated. It is particularly clear when baking a pie, --pumpkin,
> pecan, lemon, etc.
>
> Any experts out there?

The 10 minutes may be pre-heating time. My electric oven is calibrated a
tad too high, so I have to adjust my cooking time down about 5 minutes for
most recipes. Therefore, I generally don't preheat the oven. There is no
hard & fast rule, I'm afraid.

Jill