Bob (this one)

Donna wrote:

> My cast-iron mold for corn-shaped small cornbreads drives me crazy beca=

use=20
> it is so hard to clean. When I put the cornbread batter in each little=

=20
> pocket I dribble a bit and that sticks during cooking. I finally gave =

up=20
> using it.

You need to season it *all over* and it won't stick. This is one of=20
those "No two people do it alike" things. Here's how I do it, I'm sure=20
it's totally wrong, stupid and the work of the devil, but it works in=20
my house.

I scour new or unseasoned cast iron, wash in hot soapy water, rinse=20
quickly and hand-dry. While it's still warm from the washing, I coat=20
it on all sides - edges, margins, rims, cooking surfaces - everywhere,=20
in oil, and I use any household oil that isn't strongly flavored -=20
usually canola or soybean. I used to use lard, but I don't keep it in=20
the house routinely nowadays. Set the oven to 350=B0, put it on a rack=20
face down with a cookie sheet under it to catch any drips, and leave=20
it in there overnight. Next morning take it out and let it cool.=20
Re-oil and leave it in all day. Done.

You'll have a shiny, non-stick pan. I usually do a very light oil=20
spray before pouring in the batter when I'm baking in cast iron. Wipe=20
with a dampened paper towel after use. Store it hanging in the kitchen.

Pastorio