Dimitri

"mary" > wrote in message
> My local store has mussels on sale. I usually steam them. I assume the
> mussels are raised on a mussel farm. Would it be safe to use the liquid
> for
> soup? The liquid has been boiled so I would think that any organic matter
> has been killed.
>
> Thanks
>
> Tom

Very acceptable - the liquid is called Liquor. Just strain it.

See below.

Dimitri

Moules Bordelaise
6 dozen mussels, medium to large
3.5oz fresh white breadcrumbs, not too fine
4 tbsp. Butter, clarified (melted and strained to remove the whey)
4 tbsp parsley, finely chopped
4 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
The mussels can be cooked in advance if necessary. Over a high heat, take a
wide heavy pan with a tight fitting lid and put in a close single layer of
mussels. Put on the lid, set on the heat and leave for 30 seconds. Check to
see if the mussels are open, remove any that are, replace the lid and leave
for another 10 seconds. (The point is to give the mussels the minimum
cooking time possible)
When all the mussels are opened, remove and cook the next and subsequent
batches. As each batch is cooked, pour off and strain the liquor the mussels
have released. This can be frozen and used as part of a delicious fish soup
on another occasion.
Discard all the mussel shells and keep the mussels in a covered dish. Just
before serving, fry the breadcrumbs to a light golden brown colour in the
clarified butter. Mix the parsley and garlic, and add to the crumbs. Give
them a few seconds more for the garlic to soften slightly but do not
overcook, or the parsley will lose its fresh green colour and the crumbs
will turn soggy.
Heat the mussels through gently in another pan with a little butter, scoop
them into the pan of crumbs, being careful to leave the liquor behind, and
mix everything briefly together. Divide between four, warmed, bowls and
serve with French bread and a dry white wine.