Cwdjrx _

Michael Pronay states: "Don't know about the whites, but *avoid* the
reds. 1975 was a terrible vintage: rot, rot, rot. I don't think any
really long lasting red Burgundy was made."

I do not recall ever tasting a 1975 red Burgundy. They had a terrible
repution in the US. However some of the whites were not bad if carefull
selected. I did not mention any, because even the best likely are too
old and/or expensive for the birthday wine. I did taste the 1975 Le
Montrachet from Thevenin. Unfortunately my notes are marked only R.
Thevenin, and there is Rene and Roland, so I am not sure which applies
to the wine I tasted. At one time Roland T. had exclusive distribution
rights for the D. de Ch. de Puligny-Montrachet wines, which included 1/5
ha of Le Montrachet. I believe this tiny plot of Le Montrachet was
bought by DRC quite a while ago. Anyway the wine I had at about 7 years
old was rather concentrated and had considerable merit, but it was a
little flat, and I doubt very much if it would be worth drinking today.

I also had several bottles of Moreau's Clos des Hospices 1975 Chablis.
This was very hard and austure at first. It required about 10 years to
develop and was still drinking well at 15 years. But again, I doubt if
it would be of much interest now.

Of course in Bordeaux, Petrus 1975 has a very high reputation by many,
but the price is so high that I did not mention it.

My mailbox is always full to avoid spam. To contact me, erase
from my email address. Then add . I do not
check this box every day, so post if you need a quick response.