Jay Santos

Scented Nectar wrote:

>>>Nope. They're just wrong. Not absolutely.

>>They're ABSOLUTELY wrong, in your view. They have to be.

> They don't have to be.

They DO have to be, in your view:

Killing animals is wrong.
S.C. - 31 Dec 2004, 4:06PM PST

>>>So you would have me boycott all foods?

>>No. I'd have you grow your own.

> Me too. But short of winning the lottery, that
> won't happen until I retire and even then, not
> to the extent that I could grow ALL my own.

So you rationalize your failure to behave according to
the demands of your belief by your financial status.
That isn't an ethics at all.

>>>Nope. It's just wrong, not absolutely.

>>It's absolutely wrong, in your view. There's no
>>alternative.

> Maybe for you there are no alternatives, but to
> my thinking there are.

No, there's no alternative: you believe killing
animals other than in self defense is ABSOLUTELY wrong:

Killing animals is wrong.
S.C. - 31 Dec 2004, 4:06PM PST

There's no qualification to that, e.g. "usually wrong"
or "a little bit wrong". You just call it "wrong",
period. That's absolute.

>>>I feel good about myself.

>>Your good feelings are unjustified and pathetic. You
>>have not made any moral improvement.

> I get to feel good about myself for what *I* decide
> is important or moral or anything else.

Your good feelings are unjustified and disgusting. You
have not made any moral improvement, merely based on
not putting meat in your mouth.

>>>You know, when you're quoting someone to make
>>>a point

>>I quote her accurately. Always.

> Even her name?

The quote is accurate.

>>>As far as the quote goes, I just said killing animals
>>>is wrong. I didn't use the word absolute.

>>It's implied by the absence of any modifier. You can't
>>possibly spin it as being "a little bit" wrong, or
>>wrong "some of the time". You just said it is wrong,
>>period. That MEANS absolutely wrong, no ifs, ands or buts.
>>
>>Why are you voluntarily and knowingly participating in
>>something that you believe is wrong?

> Let's see now, there's no choice,

There IS a choice. You just don't want to exercise it,
because it would be hard and uncomfortable. So,
animals must die so you can enjoy ease and comfort.
That's not an ethics.

> and it's just a bit
> wrong

No, there's no wiggle room. It's wrong, full stop:

Killing animals is wrong.
S.C. - 31 Dec 2004, 4:06PM PST

You are not behaving according to any legitimate ethics.