Jay Santos

Scented Nectar wrote:
>>>I have no way of knowing what farmers do what.

>>That's false. NOW, you know exactly what they do:
>>they chop little animals to bits in the course of
>>producing food for you. Previously, you didn't know,
>>but now you do know. It is your knowledge of what
>>happens that implicates you.

> Let me rephrase that.

No. It's plainly weaseling.

> I have no way of knowing
> WHICH farmers do what.

Irrelevant. You know farmers do it, and you know you
buy from farmers who do it. You aren't doing the best
you can.

> Short of starving
> myself, eating vegan provides the least
> accidental deaths.

That's no good. Killing animals is ABSOLUTELY wrong in
your view, just as broom-****ing children is
ABSOLUTELY wrong. You DO view killing animals as
absolutely wrong, and you have no valid rationale for
stopping at some allegedly reduced amount.

>>>I'm not
>>>responsible for any deaths personally.

>>You are responsible for the deaths of the animals
>>chopped up in the field in order to feed you in exactly
>>the same way a meat eater is responsible for the deaths
>>of animals he eats.

> My responsibility stops where I no longer have
> control.

You have control over what you buy. You don't "need"
to buy anything from anyone.

>>>You are trying
>>>to put an 'absoluteness' on the whole thing

>>It is just there, based on YOUR belief in the absolute
>>wrongness of killing animals.

> It's wrong, but I accept that some of it I can't control.

You don't have to have ANY amount of business with
those who do it.

> I'm not a superhero.

Oh, we know that.

>>>when in
>>>fact you know full well that I am content with the death
>>>reductions I have made (knowing that it's currently
>>>impossible to do better).

>>You have no reason to be content, and it IS possible
>>for you to do better. It is EASILY possible for you to
>>do better, but you never cared in the first place. You
>>are content solely with doing the easiest, most emptily
>>symbolic act you can find.

> Your way of doing it better

You aren't DOING anything. You falsely conclude from
something you're NOT doing - putting meat in your mouth
- that you're somehow "doing better". You aren't.
Your position simply is morally empty.

>>>You say I'm not allowed to
>>>feel content, something you have no say in.

>>I do have say. You are not entitled to your feeling of
>>contentment. You haven't done anything morally
>>significant.

> I can feel content and you can't stop me.

I can point out that your basis for feeling content is
meaningless, and that your contentment is unearned and
unwarranted.

>>>I am doing the best I can

>>You are NOT doing the best you can. Stop lying.

> Yes I am.

No, you are NOT. You could EASILY do better.

>>>You're the one putting absolute in there.

>>No, it is just there.

> Who put it there?

You. It's based on YOUR belief that killing animals is
absolutely wrong, just as you believe broom-****ing
children is absolutely wrong.

>>>You're putting words in my mouth.

>>No. That is the essence of what you're saying.

> Oh, now you're calling it 'essence'? Earlier you
> called these things 'implied'.

The essence of your belief is implied by all the things
you say.

>>>Stop forcing the word absolute into the above

>>I'm not. It's just there, whether you like it or not.

> You put it there.

No, YOU put it there. You put it there, and now you
don't like the implications of what you've done.